Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Walk Three Hundred and Fifty – Evening in Hammonds Lane

rapeseedcrop
This evening Xavier and I walked the loop around Hammonds Lane (stopped to paint the rape seed crop) and through ‘No Name’ wood back to the village, into the churchyard, down the high street and home. There was a small group of large teenage boys with bikes loitering in the churchyard. Xavier is so funny – he isn’t in the least intimidated by older children. He struck them all dumb by demanding to know their names. When they didn’t reply he told them his name and persisted in wanting to know each and every one of their names. When they had all given in and mumbled their names to him, he then proceeded to show them the finer points of his ‘likebike’, how you can ride it inside the house and how there are stickers on both sides, and then he waved them goodbye and set off.

300mm x 225mm pen and watercolour on Arches HP paper

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I like the horizontal bands of color.

1:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Julie,
what a great project. I loved the idea and the drawings are esquisite. Also, let me invite you to my watercolor "challenge", to paint 365 watercolors based on people's daily routines: www.365regulardays.com
best,
Fernando

3:39 am  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

What are you going to do with all these gorgeous pictures - frame some, sell some, use them as a resource for more pics? Surely not wall-paper the lounge room? Write some poems to go with them. I do enjoy the little anecdotes that go with them about your daily life and observations.
w.
I did tell you about putting lots of my old life drawings into the recycle bin didn't I?

9:20 am  
Blogger Laureline said...

I LOVE the Xavier stories and sketches---and this is one of my favorites! What an indomitable spirit----you can certainly tell he's well loved!

10:50 am  
Blogger Alison said...

With the bluebells and the rape crops, it really feels like the year has come around and Xavier is a year older - what a year - it's been so good to catch it like this.

1:44 pm  
Blogger Floreat Salopia said...

I love your descriptions. Here in Shropshire there is no sign of bluebells yet. Our hedgerows are still full of anemones and celandine

5:22 pm  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Martha, it was those horizontal lines that attracted my eye.
Fernando these year-long projects are rather a good way of keeping motivated aren't they?
Wendy many of them are in sketch books, so I'll just leave them to my children.
Laura, Xavier is such a character (she says as she tries to ignore him raging about something in the background!).
Alison, I'm feeling quite wistful about how fast the year has gone by.
Floreat we seem to have them all overlapping here at the moment, there are patches of anemones and celandines in with the bluebells

1:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home